Saturday 11 November 2017

Playlisting

It's been a bit of a hectic few months here.

Back in late July I agreed to take on my old job of editing the music section over at The F-Word. It will be for six months initially while regular music editor Jo Whitehead takes her turn as the F-Word's rotating editor, then we'll see what happens.

I've already had the pleasure of commissioning some very talented writers, have been showered with promo emails, and have now compiled two playlists for the site.

Given that I have a strong tendency to deploy music (and books, and films, and radio...) to try and make sense of what feels like an increasingly horrific world, it should come as no surprise to discover that I used this approach when compiling both the August playlist and the November playlist.

This approach goes beyond music as a form of protest (though I have used some of the music in both playlists in that context) and more towards music as an intelligent and therapeutic soundtrack to the distressing realities of everyday life.

I hope you enjoy both playlists, as I feel they can be listened to without being aware of the wider socio-political context in which they were created, even though there is that extra dimension to them as well.

Making a playlist will never change the world, but if it helps people to try and make sense of things, and draw strength, inspiration and courage from music, then it's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment