Sunday 15 January 2017

My favourite new band of the past year



I can't quite remember when it was that I first heard Overcoats, I just know it was sometime last year. If I login to my Spotify account I daresay I can find out exactly when it was as it was thanks to them that I found them, via one of the new music weekly playlists I subscribe to.

It wasn't the hauntingly beautiful 'Little Memory' (which you can watch above) that I heard first, but the unsettling, eerie folkatronic 'Smaller Than My Mother', which despite it's sparseness, proved to be a particularly nagging ear worm... A good one though, not an annoying one, as you can hear below...


I don't know an awful lot about this duo, but they are Hana Elion and JJ Mitchell, and they are from New York. Their debut EP was released in the summer of 2015, and they've since spent a lot of time gigging in Europe, particularly Dublin, when word of their aceness travelled beyond the US.

I like watching the way they interact with each other in their performances, there seems to be an easy friendship and comradeship there that enhances their performances as much as the quality of their songwriting does.

I am really looking forward to hearing more from them in 2017.






No comments:

Post a Comment