Monday 28 December 2015

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue #8

Berries and leaves, Heaton Moor
I thought I'd begin today's post with an extra slice of California sunshine, following on from Tommy James and the Shondells yesterday. So, todays slice of sunshine pop is the Mamas & The Papas 'California Dreaming', which is, I think, my favourite track of theirs. They're one of those bands where it's easy to use, and subvert, the meaning of their songs, hence the use of 'Dedicated to the one I love' on the soundtrack to Morvern Caller and oh so ironic use of 'It's Getting Better' in Beautiful Thing. There was darkness as well as lightness in the band, and that that is part of the reason why their songs can be used and interpreted in a number of ways.

Kali Uchis' 'Know what I want' has a very summary vibe to it as well. Think post-Amy Winehouse with a vague nod to dub reggae. This is from late 2014, so not as 'new' as it should be, but it is my favourite track of hers so far.

I love the swagger of Santigold's 'My Superman', although the debt to Siouxsie and the Banshee's 'Red Light' is very evident, she manages to totally transform it and make it something very different but also a good salute to the original.

While Lee Hazelwood and Nancy Sinatra collaborated on a number of songs, the collaborations they are most famous for are 'Some Velvet Morning' and 'Summer Wine', both of which I like, but not as much as 'Sundown, Sundown'

Image of berries and leaves in Heaton Moor by Cazz Blase. Copyright Cazz Blase, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment